Wednesday 26 October 2011

Creativity, Life & Time

As I look at the calendar I'm slightly stunned how near the end of October we are. I knew at the start of this year it would be a rough year for me to balance my desire to write with my parent hat (we won't discuss wedding planning, I'll keep myself in denial on that front).

It's taken most of the year, but I've given myself permission to ride out the remainder of the school year (er, with 3 weeks to go) where getting words not down is okay. My son is wrapping up school and viewing life post school and all that entails - university applications, scholarships, choices, life without the school regime. In a way, so glad it's him not me (remember being 17??).  I have no doubt he will find and land on his feet, however it can be hard to watch the rollercoaster being so close to the action.

Meanwhile, there have been a lot of blogs appearing in my Google Reader about creativity, the need to keep going, burn out, balancing the creative with the practical side of one's life and it has me thinking.

So, while that blog post is percolating in my mind I'd like to direct you over to a blog by Deborah Biancotti (who is currently playing over at World Fantasy Convention) about creative exhaustion. It is something that happens to everyone in many different and varied ways. I know I've certainly enjoyed reading all the various responses Deb has received and it shows how no matter what way we travel to and reach the end product everyone has these thoughts. It's how we learn to handle them that counts.

2 comments:

  1. Giving yourself permission to not write is I think one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. Well done, take care and best of luck to your son in these final few stressful weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Nicole. It took a long time to recognise I was creative (the music, calligraphy, and dancing weren't big enough markers *lol*) and the whole "write every day, get it done" has its place but as you say, giving permission to step back when needed is as important.

    Thanks re the son - given he is aiming for medicine or astrophysics, the stress is high. Looking forward to when he goes "done, I (ergo, we) can relax now"....until the waiting for uni offers.

    ReplyDelete