Thursday 5 May 2011

30 Day Song Challenge Day 26 Playing is No Longer Secret

A song that you can play on an instrument.

Oh this was fun to choose. I was remembering the time in my life I played the flute (essentially until I left school, though I do still pull it out every now and again). My high school had a very ambitious music program with a conductor who thought nothing (or, maybe he gave it some thought), of throwing to the advanced concert band works of a high standard. It was hard and we needed to practice. I wasn't as disciplined as I should've been but perhaps if I had my life would've taken a whole other route (music & ancient civilisations were my big loves.....still are in fact).

Ergo, today's choice. The Marriage of Figaro Overture by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Undiluted aka rearranged for school students. We played the real deal. I have copies of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd flute parts. Have played them all. I didn't have the piccolo at this point (that would've been around for the Magic Flute the following year). I was 15yrs old/Grade 10 and can remember playing it along with Slavonic Dances by Dvorak.


I hear this piece and immediately my brain goes to playing the notes, mastering the double tonguing technique required, remembering the rests, the different points of starting, harmonies.....

I love playing music. On my wish list of when I have a gazillion dollars I'd love to buy an oboe and learn to play it. In the meantime, I should probably look into getting my flute serviced......

No comments:

Post a Comment